Friday, July 07, 2006

What would you die for?

Today is the one year anniversary of the bombings in London. It is always a terrible thing when people want to kill, but more so when those people are willing to take their own lives as well as those of others. I can understand the idea of giving one's life for a cause one belives in---I would gladly die to save any of my friends. What I don't get is why the cause should be killing. It causes an incredible amount of grief. The concept of a suicide bombing makes me wonder: What were they thinking? Did they hope to become martyrs purely for the sake of fame? Did they die with their victims because they were too cowardly to face the aftermath? Or did they believe in their cause so fervently that all other reasons to live were forced aside? If this last was the case, what about the cause evokes such mindless loyalty? I am scheduled to take a course in cognitive psychology, in about a week. I hope that it will shed some light on the subject.

In the meantime, what would you die for, and why?

4 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing. I like to think of it in simple terms. They had a screw loose.
What would I die for? Saving someone else sounds nice. In theory I would like to think I would die to save others.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

The whole concept of martyrdom is so far removed from my sensibilities that it is unconceivable to me. As BW said, perhaps dying in the act of saiving someone else, but otherwise I can't imagine anything worth dying (OR KILLING) for.

8:53 PM  
Blogger jw said...

there are lots of additional reasons why someone would become a suicide bomber. there have been several interesting studies on the unemployment rate in countries with high numbers of suicide bombers and how a poor economy affects the desire to become one. suicide bombers get paid handsomely, and if they are not currently able to support their families, the money is can be a huge draw.

i know it sounds crazy to give up one's life and to kill others for anything other than an ideal, but i think there could be a lot of other factors that would lead someone to become a suicide bomber.

8:59 AM  
Blogger fin said...

Nothing is worth it.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home