Thursday, July 13, 2006

Not in this House you don't!

You know how the righties are always plugging "down home family values?" I have to wonder what the hell kind of psychotic houses they grew up in. The values emphasized by my mother, and hers, and so on through the generations are as follows:

1-Be responsible for your own actions
2-Don't waste your money
3-Clean your room
4-Don't do drugs
5-Treat the elderly with respect
6-Be nice to little kids
7-Respect other people's views
8-Don't start fights
9-Eat your vegetables, they're good for you

So that's how I grew up. Now let's see how the Neo-Cons DON'T stack up.

1-Obviously everyone ducks responsiblitity. ALL THE TIME.
2-Nearly two hundred billion (non-existant) dollars spent on Iraq EACH YEAR with no end in sight.
3-I don't know how their living rooms look, but the floor of the House has gotten very nasty (this applies to everyone, not just the Republican side of the aisle)
4-The Republicans back huge pharmaceutical companies that charge outlandish prices for the medicines people need to live.
5-Veterans are getting screwed over, retirees don't have enough to live on, and don't even get me started on Medicare...
6-Although blastocysts count as people, children's education is going down the tubes, as is foster care.
7-I don't have to say anything, do I?
8-*points to Middle East*
9-Actually that one I threw in for fun. I don't know how the Senators and Congressmen eat, although Dick Cheney could definitely do with less cholesterol.

So there you have it. Apparently "family values" count only as praying to Jesus 24/7. Which I for one find offensive. Religion is a personal matter, not a public one, and I don't care how many times the Bible says that the world is Christ's domininon---Leave it out of politics and schools. I'm not saying I disagree with every single little thing that Christianity stands for. Turn the other cheek, faith as relief and comfort... That's fine, I have no problem with that. It's when the government starts shoving their perverted interpretations of it into my face that I start getting angry. And when they make out like it's good family values, especially when they're systematically screwing families over... That's simply inexcuseable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

It's you! It's Minty from the jian board! Girl you have more online names than .. my kid.

Thanks for stopping by!

I have to say you must have been reading my mind with your thoughts on religion being a private matter. I've always thought that being decent to other people is as demonstrative as I need to be.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

You put all those depressing facts into a very good rant. I am wondering if there is anything you like about what your gov't does for it's people. I always try to look for the good...

10:17 PM  
Blogger jw said...

my mom also taught me that:

-education is the most valuable thing you will ever have.
-never trust a man.
-if you must, stripping is a respectable way to support yourself. a woman has got to do what she's got to do to make it on her own. of course, she doesn't out rightly encourage erotic dancing, but you've got to respect an independent woman.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home